Site of the Bank of Montreal branch at the corner of Main Street and Broadway, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1879. The stockade and buildings of Fort Garry can be seen on the left.
In 1984, the bank opened a new $25 million tower in Winnipeg, Manitoba, adjoining its historic main branch building at Portage Avenue and Main Street, where it moved in 1913.
The Regina branch opened in 1883. Housed in a two-storey frame building on the northwest corner of Victoria Avenue and Lorne Street, the branch became locally known as “The Little Bank of the Moose Mountain Trail.” Pictured is the original Regina branch, 1884, with staff and customers standing on the porch.
Courtesy of McCord Museum, Montreal.
In 1886, the bank opened a branch in Calgary, Alberta in a rented frame store on Eighth Avenue. The image is of a letter dated October 26, 1886, which describes the state of the just-opened Calgary branch.
The bank opened for business in Vancouver in August 1887, occupying one corner of a two-storey frame building on Hastings Street. It was the first branch west of the Rockies. Pictured here: downtown Vancouver, 1887. The city was being rebuilt after the devastating fire of 1886.
The first branch west of the Rockies (Vancouver, 1887) completed our coast-to-coast network. Pictured here: Vancouver branch, 1900.
Images on this website are property of Bank of Montreal unless otherwise noted. Unauthorized use is prohibited.