The corner of King and Prince William in Saint John, New Brunswick, circa 1862, would later become the site of Bank of Montreal offices.
When the bank opened a branch in Moncton, New Brunswick in March 1873, the village had only two streets of any size, Main and Steadman, and the local population was only about 2,000. In 1908, the bank moved from its location at Main and Duke to this stone building, completed at a cost of $33,220.
After the great fire of 1877 in Saint John, New Brunswick, wooden shacks on King’s Square served as temporary business quarters.
With business increasing, the bank moved to larger quarters in St. John’s, Newfoundland in 1897. In 1985, the bank donated this historic branch to the City of St. John’s, giftwrapping the building.
Mid-20th-century ad listing the bank’s locations in Newfoundland.
Images on this website are property of Bank of Montreal unless otherwise noted. Unauthorized use is prohibited.